Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is an exquisite appetizer or snack. My friend Nancy serves this to her family with White Clam Sauce and Vermicelli and her Casaburo Salad, finishing their meal with her wonderful Double Chocolate Chunk Biscotti. Also from my "birthday book".
- 1 cup black olives, pitted
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) baguette or 1 (8 ounce) Italian bread
- olive oil, for brushing
- parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- In a food processor puree the olives, capers, garlic, balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the tomatoes, green onion, 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, basil and pepper; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the bread into 1/2- inch slices.
- Brush both sides of each slice of bread with olive oil.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Turn each bread slice over; spread puree on bread slices.
- Top with 2 Tablespoons of tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 2-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.