Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A great accompanyment to any "Southern Barbeque" or by itself with a side of cornbread.
Make and share this Brunswick Stew Georgia Style ( Chicken & Pork ) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 celery ribs
- 2 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb shredded pork
- 3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen white shoepeg corn, thawed
- 1 cup mirepoix (diced Celery, Carrot and Onion sauted in butter)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- hot sauce
- Cut celery, carrots, and onion in half; combine vegetables, chicken and next 3 ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is very tender.
- Bone and shred chicken.
- Pour broth through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding vegetables; return broth to stockpot and add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or desired thickness.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
This recipe is delicious! It tastes just like the Brunswick stew served in Georgia restaurants but better. I cut the recipe in half and used two large leg quarters instead of a whole chicken. Also, I added red and green bell peppers to the mix. I slow cooked a four pound pork roast in the oven and used half of it in the recipe. For the BBQ sauce, I used Sweet Baby. I mixed all of the ingredients together and let it simmer for an hour. It came out very thick and chunky. This recipe takes some work but well worth the end result. It is definitely a keeper!
There are 60+ recipes for Brunswick Stew on this recipe site. I read just about all of them. I chose this one. I was not dissapointed. This is a 5 star recipe. The only minor changes I made: used low sodium chicken broth for the water, used 2 cans (15 oz.) tomato sauce instead of canned tomatoes, added four roasted garlic cloves to the mirepoix. I used prepackaged barbequed pulled pork and also cooked chicken the day before and removed fat from chicken broth. The only change I would do next time, and there will be a next time, is add the chicken and pork at the finish. Excellent and the best Brunswick Stew recipe on the web. I know I read them all! My husband says; he is sending me and this recipe to Ga. for the next Brunswick Stew cook off and it will be a winner.
This has to be the best stew recipe ever. The only thing I did differently was instead of pork and barbecue sauce I used Brookwood Farms pulled pork barbecue. I considered not eating it 4 days in a row but tossed that idea. 4 days and counting.