Recipe by johnvac52
A great accompanyment to any "Southern Barbeque" or by itself with a side of cornbread.
Top Review by LizDaCook
This recipe is delicious! It tastes just like the Brunswick stew served in Georgia restaurants but better. I cut the recipe in half and used two large leg quarters instead of a whole chicken. Also, I added red and green bell peppers to the mix. I slow cooked a four pound pork roast in the oven and used half of it in the recipe. For the BBQ sauce, I used Sweet Baby. I mixed all of the ingredients together and let it simmer for an hour. It came out very thick and chunky. This recipe takes some work but well worth the end result. It is definitely a keeper!
- 4 celery ribs
- 2 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb shredded pork
- 3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen white shoepeg corn, thawed
- 1 cup mirepoix (diced Celery, Carrot and Onion sauted in butter)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut celery, carrots, and onion in half; combine vegetables, chicken and next 3 ingredients in a large stockpot.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is very tender.
- Bone and shred chicken.
- Pour broth through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding vegetables; return broth to stockpot and add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or desired thickness.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.