Recipe by JanelleC
A nice low fat version.
Top Review by Bec
I am so sorry about this rating, but I have to be honest! I followed the recipe exactly but they didn't have any flavor...it was ready right when you said- 25 minutes- and I was really excited about it. Normally, I stick to box mixes (even then I have a tendency to overcook them) and today, since I didn't have any, I found your recipe. I gave it a 2 out of 5, rather than a 1, because of how easy they were to prepare, and how they cooked evenly; as well as how they looked (and smelled) great. Again, I am sorry that they didn't turn out good. The texture was like a cake instead of a brownie. Perhaps it could be a cake mix? I should have added some chocolate frosting to the top to see....I'll keep looking for more brownie recipes!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, optional
Directions See How It's Made
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually whisk in the sugar.
- Gently fold in apple sauce, milk and vanilla essence.
- Sift flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and gently mix in the egg white mixture.
- Lightly spray a 23cm square tin and spoon in the batter and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with almonds and bake in a moderate oven for 25 minutes.