Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Flouring the chips and walnuts keeps them from sinking to the bottom. It is very important to allow the batter to cool well before adding the chocolate chips, or the chips will melt and ruin the batter. This recipe can be baked up to a week in advance, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated.
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1 lb semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares
- 6 extra large eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Buuter and flour a 12 x 18 x 1-inch baking sheet.
- Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips, and bitter chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water.
- Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffe granulates, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter. Pour into the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to scape from between the pan ans brownie dough. bake for 15 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into 20 large squares.
Fantastic!!!! A bit labor intensive, but well worth the x-tra it takes to make these. Love the addition of the coffee flavor. Although not a coffee lover myself, the chocolate/coffee combo works well together. Also, loved the addition of all those walnuts!!!1
Made for PRMR.
I totally agree with the last reviewer. These are great.Thanks. Will try them again for sure.
These brownies are THE BOMB! They were little harder to make compared to boxed version, but sooooooo much better!!!! Very rich, very chocolately. Get your milk ready cuz the are addicting!!!!!