Cook4 hrs 50 mins
Nobody will believe that this bakery-fancy cake starts with a brownie mix! We had it last night at a dinner party and it was awesome. Don't let the long laundry list deter you it is really worth the effort. Courtesy Barbara Estabrook - Rhinelander, Wi. Pillsbury Bake-Off 41 (Hollywood, 2004).
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup almond toffee bits
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur or 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) boxpillsbury brownie classic fudge toffee pieces or 1 (19 1/2 ounce) boxtraditional fudge brownie mix
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup chopped slivered almonds, toasted*
- unsweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Lightly butter bottom only 10-inch springform pan or spray with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, mix graham creacker crumbs, toffee bits, brown sugar and 1/4 cup melted butter with fork until crumbs are coated.
- Press in bottom of buttered pan.
- Chcolate Layer:.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium-low heat until hot.
- Stir in liqueur.
- With wire whisk, stir in chocolate chips until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Place 1/4 cup chocolate mixture in small microwaveable bowl; set aside for drizzle.
- Pour and carefully spread remaining chocolate mixture over crust.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix brownie mix, 6 Tablespoons melted butter and the water; beat 50 strokes with spoon (mixture will be thick).
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed 1-2 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Add brownie mixture, beat with electric mixer on low speed just until well blended, about 30 seconds (batter will appear lumpy).
- Remove crust from freezer.
- Spread batter over chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle almonds evenly over top.
- Bake at 325ºF for 45-60 minutes or until center is puffed and set and edges are firm (middle will be soft).
- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Cool on wire rack 2 hours.
- Run knife around side of pan; remove side.
- Microwave reserved chocolate mixture on High for 10-15 seconds until desired drizzling consistency; drizzle over torte.
- To serve at room temperature, cool an aditional hour.
- Or refrigerate until serving time.
- If desired, top individual servings with unsweetened whipped cream.
- Now, sit down and enjoy with a cup of coffee!
- *To toast chopped almonds, spread on cookie sheet; bake at 325ºF for 6-8 minutes, striing once, until golden brown. (This can be done while making the crust or chocolate layer).