Prep 40 mins
Cook 4 hrs 50 mins
Nobody will believe that this bakery-fancy cake starts with a brownie mix! We had it last night at a dinner party and it was awesome. Don't let the long laundry list deter you it is really worth the effort. Courtesy Barbara Estabrook - Rhinelander, Wi. Pillsbury Bake-Off 41 (Hollywood, 2004).
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup almond toffee bits
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee-flavored liqueur or 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) boxpillsbury brownie classic fudge toffee pieces or 1 (19 1/2 ounce) boxtraditional fudge brownie mix
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup chopped slivered almonds, toasted*
- unsweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Lightly butter bottom only 10-inch springform pan or spray with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, mix graham creacker crumbs, toffee bits, brown sugar and 1/4 cup melted butter with fork until crumbs are coated.
- Press in bottom of buttered pan.
- Chcolate Layer:.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium-low heat until hot.
- Stir in liqueur.
- With wire whisk, stir in chocolate chips until smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Place 1/4 cup chocolate mixture in small microwaveable bowl; set aside for drizzle.
- Pour and carefully spread remaining chocolate mixture over crust.
- Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 325ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix brownie mix, 6 Tablespoons melted butter and the water; beat 50 strokes with spoon (mixture will be thick).
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed 1-2 minutes or until soft peaks form.
- Add brownie mixture, beat with electric mixer on low speed just until well blended, about 30 seconds (batter will appear lumpy).
- Remove crust from freezer.
- Spread batter over chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle almonds evenly over top.
- Bake at 325ºF for 45-60 minutes or until center is puffed and set and edges are firm (middle will be soft).
- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Cool on wire rack 2 hours.
- Run knife around side of pan; remove side.
- Microwave reserved chocolate mixture on High for 10-15 seconds until desired drizzling consistency; drizzle over torte.
- To serve at room temperature, cool an aditional hour.
- Or refrigerate until serving time.
- If desired, top individual servings with unsweetened whipped cream.
- Now, sit down and enjoy with a cup of coffee!
- *To toast chopped almonds, spread on cookie sheet; bake at 325ºF for 6-8 minutes, striing once, until golden brown. (This can be done while making the crust or chocolate layer).
Easy to make and totally yummy!
This torte was absolutely SUPERB. I am a chocolate lover and am not satisfied with a simple chocolate cake anymore, because it's too flour-y and doesn't have enough chocolate flavor. This torte is just right. It is an incredibly fudgy, thick, luscious, jazzed-up brownie. Even my dad, who doesn't like chocolate, loved this recipe. Note: be careful not to overbake it or it'll come out dry. If cracks start forming on the edges, you've cooked it too long (no worries, it'll still be delicious, just not as moist). Also, you'll have to buy Pillsbury brand brownie mix - theirs is the only one that comes in the 19.5 oz size.