Recipe by Nana Lee
This version takes a bit longer to make than the original, Brownie Bottom Cheesecake Bars, but it is worth it! It's best to make in a springform pan, a heartshaped springform pan for Valentie's day would be fantastic! This cake was originally named MURPHY'S BONZO CAKE and came from Razzeldazzle recipe site.
For the brownie
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the cheesecake
- 21 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate mousse
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate, chopped (56 percent)
- 10 pasteurized egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the brownie:.
- Preheat oven to 300º F.
- Line a 10" springform pan or a 10" baking pan with 3" sides with parchment paper and spray the sides with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chocolate chips and sugar. Add melted butter and mix with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and stir after each addition until well-combined.
- Sift the cake flour and cocoa and add to the mixture.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and beaters to combine.
- Mix until it is a smooth paste.
- Pour into the baking pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until the center springs back when pressed.
- Let the brownie cool completely, then run a knife around the edges to loosen and remove from pan.
- Turn upside down into a clean 10-inch baking pan with 3-inch sides lined with parchment or a similar size springform pan.
- To prepare the cheesecake:.
- Preheat oven to 285º F.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese. Add sugar and continue to mix.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and beaters to combine and eliminate lumps.
- Add the eggs one at a time and stir after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and mix 1 minute.
- Pour on top of the cooked brownie in cake pan.
- Bake the cheesecake/brownie on a rimmed sheet or baking pan in a 1/2" water bath for 45 minutes.
- The top should feel firm to the touch.
- Let cool completely.
- To prepare the chocolate mousse:.
- In a double boiler or bowl over simmering water, melt the chocolate.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Slowly alternate the addition of cream and melted chocolate to the egg yolks.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Pour the chocolate mousse on top of the cheesecake (you might have some extra mousse).
- Smooth the surface to avoid air pockets.
- Refrigerate until the mousse sets, about 3 hours.
- If not using a springform pan, run a knife around the edges to loosen.
- Heat the bottom and the sides of the pan on the stovetop for a few seconds.
- Turn it upside down on a piece of plastic and cardboard.
- Shake the pan, and the cake should slowly come out.
- Flip it back on a piece of cardboard or serving plate and remove the plastic.
- NOTE: This part would be easier if using a springform pan.