Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love peanut brittle, and this is a recipe even those who are new to candy making can do successfully the first try. So yummy you won't want to wait for it to cool to eat it...
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups raw Spanish peanuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In a heavy 3-quart saucepan combine sugars, corn syrup, water, and a dash of salt.
- Cook and stir until the sugars dissolve.
- When syrup boils, blend in butter.
- Stir frequently after mixture reaches thread stage and candy thermometer registers 230 degrees.
- Add peanuts when temperature reaches soft-crack stage, 280 degrees.
- Stir constantly until temperature reaches hard-crack stage, 300 degrees.
- Remove from heat.
- Quickly stir in soda and mix well.
- Pour onto buttered 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1" baking pans.
- As candy cools, stretch it by lifting and pulling with two forks from edges to make it thinner.
- Break into pieces and cool.