Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yuuuummmmmm.... hot apple pie... serve it with vanilla icecream and you can't go wrong!
- 2 pie crusts, unbaked,for top and bottom crusts
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced, pared tart apples
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- In large bowl, mix sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add apples; toss lightly to combine.
- Turn apple mixture into pie crust lined pie plate, mounding up in center to support top crust.
- Sprinkle with lemon peel.
- Dot apples with butter cut into small pieces.
- Place second pie crust on top.
- Press edges to seal.
- Cut slits for steam vents.
- Mix yolk with 1 tablespoon water; brush on crust.
- Bake 45-50 minutes , until apples are tender and crust is golden.
- Serve warm.
I've had this same recipe for years, I use it all the time. The only changes I make is to use 1/2 of the amount of sugars. It's easy to adjust, after you coat the apples just taste them, and adjust the amount of sugar accordingly.
This was ok- not great. I reduced the sugars and the filling was still sweet but runny. I would recommend boiling the apples first with sugar and about 2 Tbsp. of water in a pot so the filling is basically done and thick and then bake it.