Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yuuuummmmmm.... hot apple pie... serve it with vanilla icecream and you can't go wrong!
Make and share this Brown Sugar Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 pie crusts, unbaked,for top and bottom crusts
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced, pared tart apples
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- In large bowl, mix sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add apples; toss lightly to combine.
- Turn apple mixture into pie crust lined pie plate, mounding up in center to support top crust.
- Sprinkle with lemon peel.
- Dot apples with butter cut into small pieces.
- Place second pie crust on top.
- Press edges to seal.
- Cut slits for steam vents.
- Mix yolk with 1 tablespoon water; brush on crust.
- Bake 45-50 minutes , until apples are tender and crust is golden.
- Serve warm.
I've had this same recipe for years, I use it all the time. The only changes I make is to use 1/2 of the amount of sugars. It's easy to adjust, after you coat the apples just taste them, and adjust the amount of sugar accordingly.
This was ok- not great. I reduced the sugars and the filling was still sweet but runny. I would recommend boiling the apples first with sugar and about 2 Tbsp. of water in a pot so the filling is basically done and thick and then bake it.