- 370 g whole meal flour
- 250 g white flour
- 25 g wheat germ
- 25 g oats
- 35 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (treacle)
- 2 eggs
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oats, as a garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray loaf pan 9"x5".
- In a large mixing bowl mix all dry ingredients.
- Melt butter add molasses and stir well.
- Mix buttermilk and eggs together.
- Pour all wet ingredients into flour mixture.
- Stir with wooden spoon until just combine.
- Don't over mix or it will be dry.
- Spoon into loaf pan and sprinkle oats on top as a garnish.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap the tops with your fingers.
- If necessary, cover with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.
- It will double in size.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan.