Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
For the Polenta
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup cornmeal or 1 cup course-ground polenta
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons chopped assorted herbs
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese
- 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese (to garnish)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter (, for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3 cups assorted rough cut or quartered mushrooms (crimini, buttons, oyster, shiitake)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced leek
- 1 tablespoon herbs
- 1 tablespoon scallion
- 1⁄8 cup diced, seeded tomatoes
- 2 cups brown vegetable stock, slightly thickened with brown roux
- 1⁄8 cup madeira wine
- 36 pieces waffle-cut sauteed carrots
- 18 pieces sauteed asparagus
- Bring vegetable stock to boil in heavy sauce pot.
- Whip in cornmeal and lower heat just below a boil.
- Simmer 1 hour.
- Saute vegetables with garlic in 1 tablespoon butter and then add to the polenta.
- Add herbs, 1/2 cup Asiago cheese, and 1/8 cup butter.
- Whip together.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture in a well-buttered 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish.
- Smooth out the polenta and lay a buttered waxed paper sheet on top.
- Refrigerate overnight until cooled and firm.
- Cut out 18 shapes of your choice, place on buttered cookie sheet, and top with a pinch of Asiago and 1/2 teaspoon melted butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese browns.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Mushroom Ragout (see below).
- Mushroom Ragout-----------------.
- In a hot saute pan, saute mushrooms, leeks, and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Deglaze with Madeira wine.
- Add stock and other ingredients.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Spoon over three polenta medallions on plate.
- In the center, garnish with purple potato puree (see above recipe); place waffle-cut carrots and asparagus spears between polenta shapes.