Recipe by Bev
Growing up, it seemed my parents would be quite creative when preparing weekend breakfast. We always had plenty on the table, even when we had to scrimp to make ends meet. When we did not have a loaf of bread, my mom would use leftover hamburger or hot dog rolls, or whatever she was able to find which would toast under the broiler. Along with our favorite weekend broiled cinnamon toast, we often would have this along with our bacon, eggs and grits. Broiled Cheese toast is a favorite childhood memory for me. I hope your family will enjoy it too!
Top Review by jameswife24
I just made this for my bread/ cheese loving toddler and he is in pure heaven! Much easier than a grilled cheese IMO. Next time I may broil the bread with the butter on it and then put the cheese on because I like my toast with a hard bottom. The bottom does not get soggy or anything, it just stays soft.
- 6 slices soft white bread
- butter (your desired amount for spreading)
- 6 slices American cheese (or Cheddar)
- white sugar (your desired amount for sprinkling)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bread on cookie sheet.
- Spread with your desired amount of butter.
- Place cheese on top of butter.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place under broiler; be sure to watch closely so sugar does not burn).
- Broil until tops are bubbly and just beginning to toast.