Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 lbs fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 lbs yellow squash, sliced
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- Arrange broccoli in a large steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender; remove from basket. Add squash and onion to basket, and repeat procedure.
- Combine squash, onion, and butter in a large bowl; mash. Stir in broccoli, eggs, and next 3 ingredients; spoon into two lightly greased 2-quart baking dishes. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
Excellent recipe. I have made it on a number of occassions. It is easy to half or quarter this recipe with good results. When preparing the full recipe, I cut back on the mayo a little. Sometimes I'll add a little less than a 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg.