1/2 Photos of Broccoli Cheese Chowder
There aren't that many recipes posted for broccoli cheese soup, and being one of my favourite comfort soups, I thought I would share mine. I like to sprinkle red pepper and put a small swirl of cream on top when I serve it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove florets from broccoli head.
- 2Cook florets in 4 cups water for 4 minutes, drain the florets, reserving the cooking water. Set florets aside for later. Chop broccoli stalk into small cubes.
- 3Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan.
- 4Add potatoes, onions and broccoli stalk, and saute for 10 minutes or until onion is soft.
- 5Add cumin and flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 6Add 3 cups of the reserved floret cooking water and the bouillon cubes, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until broccoli stalks are tender.
- 7Stir in cream and cheese.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Puree the soup in a blender until smooth ( Be Careful if doing this while HOT).
- 10Add the florets to the blender and pulse once, (this give the soup a nice green florety colour without totally destroying the florets).
- 11Taste and season again if necessary.
- 12Heat through before serving.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Cheese Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.7
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 51.2 mg
- Sodium 501.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 12.8 g