Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
from the big book of vegetarian but might be good with some added chicken or ham.
Make and share this Broccoli and Cheese Calzones recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed, drained, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) prepared refrigerated pizza dough
- 3 green onions, chopped (white and light green parts)
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola or 1⁄2 cup other blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup packed grated Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I use roasted garlic flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 425. In a med bowl, mix the broccoli, green onions, ricotta, gorgonzola, parmesan and fontina. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle a large baking sheet with flour. Unfold the dough and gently stretch and/or roll the dough to an 11-inch square; cut the dough in half diagonally, forming 2 triangles. Place half of the filling in the center of each traingle. Fold one side of each triangle over the filling, forming 2 triangle calzones. Press the edges of the dough to seal. Cut 3 slits in the top of each to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the calzones for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot with marinara poured on top or on the side to dip.
When I made this I didn't have any marinara on hand and it was still scrumptious. Also, in my "use what you have" campaign to help lighten the grocery costs I used cream cheese, mozzarella and parm cheeses. The pizza dough was a homemade whole wheat with garlic and herbs creation. It all came together deliciously. This is something I'll make again.
Made this as written, omitting the onions. Made for a nice addition to dinner tonight. Enjoyed the various chheses, with the broccoli. A meal that we enjoyed. Made 2 and cut in half for the 4 of us. Served with Broccoli Cheese Soup#281445. Made`for I Recommend.