Recipe by brian48195
I am not a big fan of semi-sweet chocolate chips, so I used milk chocolate chips and then decided to make the cookie base chocolaty too. My oldest son called them dirt cookies because of the brown batter. So, the name stuck. My kids love them and I hope you do too!
Top Review by QZ Sioux
We made these and although they tasted okay, they just didn't work. The batter spread out all over the pan, and it was like having one huge but thin cookie. We won't make these again.
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 12 ounces chocolate chips (milk chocolate)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon or roll into your hand an make a ball and place onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes (you have to watch them to see if they are done as you can't see them brown because the batter is brown).
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.