Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a dish that is prepared the night before and makes for an excellent breakfast serving.
Make and share this Breakfast Casserole Ala Villani Style recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 16 slices bread, of your choice crust removed
- 16 thinly sliced Italian sausage
- 16 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted (1/4 pound)
- 3⁄4 cup crushed corn flakes or 3⁄4 cup Special K cereal
- Prepare this casserole dish the night before.
- In a 9 inch x 13 inch oven-proof casserole dish, place 8 slices of bread to cover bottom of dish.
- Place 8 slices of Italian sausage or more if required to cover the bread.
- Now place 8 slices of cheese (about 1/8 inch thickness) over the sausage.
- Cover with another layer of 8 slices of bread.
- Then layer over with more Italian sausage to cover the bread.
- Layer the top with slices of cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, add salt, pepper, mustard, onion, green and red peppers, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and milk; mix well to blend.
- Pour mixture over the prepared casserole.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove casserole from refrigerator, remove the plastic wrap and discard.
- Melt butter and spoon over the top of the casserole.
- Cover the top with crushed cereal crumbs.
- Bake uncovered in preheated 350 F oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- You may also use back bacon or sliced ham instead of Italian sausage.
We make this every year for Christmas breakfast...for the past 7 years! I usually omit the cereal topping. Making it for my daughter's New Years Day birthday brunch this year also. My favourite brunch recipe - simple and perfect to make ahead the night before!