1/2 Photos of Breadfruit Oil Down (Grenada)
This is the national dish of Grenada. Yummy comfort food. Very filling.I'm told that the Grenadian oil down uses saffron and callaloo leaves ...this is the Trini version
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs salted meat (beef, pig snout, pig tails, etc, you can also use salted ham or salted cod fish)
- 1 (2 -3 lb) breadfruit
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 cup pimento pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 1 whole congo hot pepper or 1 whole habanero pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1Put salted meat into a pot with water. Bring to a boil and drain, repeat three times to remove preserving salt. Cook until almost tender. Drain.
- 2Wash and peel the breadfruit, cut into eight sections, remove the center lengthwise of each section, cut into 1/2" slices.
- 3Sauté onions and garlic in hot oil until onions are translucent. Add chive thyme and salted meat, hot pepper and 3 cups coconut milk.
- 4Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until breadfruit is cooked and tender; add more coconut milk if necessary and put salt to taste. (Salt may not be necessary since the salted meat flavours the dish).
- 6When cooked liquid should be absorbed and breadfruit mixture will look mushy.
- 7Remove pepper before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breadfruit Oil Down (Grenada)
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 552.2
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 111.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 30.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: