Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This versatile recipe is so neat, you can use leftover regular bread, french bread, croissants, muffins... etc. Whatever your imagination can conjur up!
- 10 cups bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pile the pieces of bread into a 9x5 inch loaf pan until the bread is about 2 inches above the rim of the pan.
- This step determines the correct quantity of bread needed.
- Then dump the bread pieces into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the raisins, cinnamon and nuts.
- Add to the bread.
- In another bowl mix together the sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla and pour over the bread mixture.
- Mix until all the bread is wet.
- If you need more liquid, just add a little more milk.
- Pack the mixture into the loaf pan.
- It will now be about 1 inch below the rim of the pan.
- If can be refrigerated until ready to bake, or it can be baked immediately.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
- Cool 10-15 minutes and remove from pan.
- The bread tastes and slices best when cold or at room temperature.
I had a cake crumble on me and this recipe came to the rescue. I quickly changed the cake into this and it turned out wonderful. Thank you for such a quick and versatile recipe.
this sounded interesting and it was. easy and good. I used whole wheat bread and a mix of raisins and craisins and it was really delicious. oh yeah, used egg substitute and evaporated skim milk and picky daughter liked it too