Recipe by **Jubes**
A bread pudding dessert New Orleans style
Top Review by Crafty Lady 13
I used golden raisins, apple juice Splenda brown sugar blend. The bread pudding turned out fluffy and moist and the caramel sauce was very easy to make and the perfect compliment for this dish. I'm used to bread pudding with a vanilla sauce, but this was a very good version too. Bread pudding is one of my FIL's favorite desserts so I took some over to my in-law's. They both gave it 5 stars. Made for July 2013 Aus/NZ Swap.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup brandy or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup pouring cream
- 1 cup brown sugar, measured packed tightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 loaf French bread, using day old bread cut in to 1 inch cubes (no need to remove crusts)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, measured packed tightly
- 6 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons brandy or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a shallow baking dish (2-1/2-qt size).
- Add the raisings and brandy (or apple juice) to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from head and set aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cream, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir in the melted butter and the raisin mixture.remaining butter and reserved raisin mixture.
- Gently stir in the cubes bread and allow to stand for about 15 minutes. During this time the bread will soften as it absorbs the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased baking sidh.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.
- To prepare the sauce- again using a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cold water and mix well.
- Bring this mixture to a boil over head and stir for about 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the butter and brandy (or vanilla).
- Serve the sauce over the bread pudding.