Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 cups soft bread cubes (use white bread)
- 1 quart milk, scalded
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 9 tablespoons sugar, granulated, divided into 2 parts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Mix bread and milk together.
- Add the 2 eggs and the 2 egg yolks with 5 tbsp of sugar and salt.
- Add to the milk mixture will be the vanilla and butter.
- Mix well and pour into a slightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake in a pie pan of water at 350° oven for 45 minutes.
- For the Meringue topping: Beat the egg whites until stiff and add the 4 tbsp of sugar to it.
- Pour in slowly
- Top the already baked pudding with it--making swirly peaks for decorations.
- Bake again at 300° until a golden brown.
My first time trying to make bread pudding and it was so easy to make, that I will be making it often. I added finely chopped walnuts and craisins and they were such good additions!
Easy and excellent. This is a simple recipe that makes a great tasting bread pudding. I added some cinnamon and nutmeg to spice it up just a bit. Thanks for the recipe.
This was the first time I made bread pudding, and it turned out great. My husband is a picky eater and he loved it too. Will deffenatly make it again!