Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My niece in South Carolina sent me this recipe for bread pudding. It was the first time I ever had it. After trying it for the first time, I did make a few adjustments to cater to my taste, although the orginal recipe was quite good. I wanted it to be a bit sweeter so increased the sugar from just under a 1/2 cup to just over 3/4 cup. I also added the double strength vanilla. This pudding can be eaten warm or chilled...topped with pouring cream if desired.
- 5 slices bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter, approximately
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, approximately
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, double strength
- Toast bread.
- Butter one side only; cut into 16 cubes per slice.
- In mixing bowl, add eggs, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar, whisk until well blended.
- Add milk to the egg mixture and whisk until well blended.
- Put the bread cubes into a buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the raisins over the cubes of bread.
- Pour the egg/milk mixture slowly over the top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approxiately 45-55 minutes, until a silver knife inserted into the center of the pudding comes out clean.
I'll never throw away old bread again! Didn't have raisins, so I added a shredded apple instead. I also melted the butter and whisked it with the other ingredients - figured it's going the same place anyway. Easy to prepare and utterly delicious - warm or cold!
This is now a family favorite! I didn't have any cinnomon or vanilla so I substituted with a pinch of nutmeg, and used a loaf of failed homemade bread. (It didn't turn out for sandwich slices) but it made a great pudding! Thanks for sharing!
I did it! lol I've never made bread pudding before but I have now! And it was yummy!!! I posted some pics, hope you enjoy. Thanks for the "fear free" recipe! I can't wait to make it again and try some add-in ideas...dried apples...peaches...cranberries...mmmm I plan to take this to my families holiday dinner so there is no telling what I will have added by then. lol