Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm not quite sure where this recipe came from. But, it's been a longtime favorite in my family. This is an unusual recipe.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 (16 ounce) packages bratwursts, white colored ones work best
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (12 ounce) cans light beer
- 16 ounces light sour cream
- 1 lb flat noodles
- Heat oil and garlic in a large saucepan. Add onion, black pepper, and red pepper to pan. Saute until soft and golden.
- Add bratwurst to pan and brown. Remove bratwurst from pan.
- Add flour to pan & stir to absorb oil.
- Slowly add beer to pan & stir well. Return bratwurst to pan. Cover and simmer 30 min, stirring occasionally.
- Slowy stir in sour cream. Make sure to gradually add sour cream so that it does not curdle.
- Heat through.
- Serve over hot buttered noodles.
Really good! I've never had bratwurst served like this before.Heavy duty rich, but true comfort food. Thanks for posting the recipe.
I really enjoyed this recipe tonight, although I did make some slight substitutions based on what I had. Since other reviewers had seemed successful switching out the beer, I decided to try too. I used chicken broth, but since the volume was a little less than the beer bottles, I added some white wine to top it up. Also, I only had white onion. In any case, this is obviously a very flexible recipe, because I thought it came out great. As said by many, the sauce is very yummy :)
Yummy! This is my new favorite way to fix Brats. I only had one can of Beer, so I just refilled the can with chicken broth and added it. It tuned out great. And that Gravy- Ohhhh so good! Thank you for this fantastic recipe.