Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
South African dessert posted for ZWT 2006. Source: Heart Foundation, South africa.
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar (caster or fine sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 4 slices oranges or 4 slices lemons
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Butter a 9 inch pie dish.
- Pour boiling water and baking soda over the dates and allow to stand till cool.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Add 1 cup flour, sifted with baking powder and salt. Stir this into the date mixture, together with the nuts.
- Last, mix in the 1/2 cup flour, sifted with cinnamon and ginger.
- Pour into baking dish & bake for 45 minutes or until set.
- Cool slightly and pour the syrup over the top.
- Syrup: Boil all the ingredients except brandy together for 10 minutes. Add brandy and pour over the tart. Serve with whipped cream.