Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Our friends brought this lovely, scrumptious dessert to dinner over the weekend. It was so good, I had her email me the recipe. She noted in the email that this dessert had one first prize in the state's "best dessert" category a few years back! I can sure see why!! Preparation/Cooking time does not include soaking peaches overnight in brandy. Be sure to do this the night prior to making the cake.
- 1 cup dried peaches, chopped
- 1 cup peach brandy
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon white corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons peach brandy
- Soak peaches in brandy in a closed container overnight.
- Dissolve soda in buttermilk and add vanilla.
- Sift flour, spices and baking powder together.
- Beat egg yolks, and mix with salt, sugar and oil.
- Add buttermilk mixture and flour mixture alternately to egg yolk mixture.
- Add nuts and brandied peaches, then beat egg whites and fold in gently.
- Pour into a 9- by 13-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- For the sauce, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Pour over cake while both are hot.
Thank you so much for posting this! This is a cake that a co-worker brought around fifteen years ago, and I never got the recipe from her. This is it! I've been looking for it forever. Now I can make it! I love it.