Recipe by Barb in WNY
The meat in this is tender vegetables and meat have a little zing. Need to be watched so it doesn't get too dry, just add a little water if dry, or sometimes I might add some beef broth.
- 2 lbs beef short ribs, cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 8 small carrots
- 4 medium onions
- 3 celery ribs, cut in eights
Directions See How It's Made
- Season meat with salt and pepper. Melt shortening in a Dutch oven; and brown meat over medium-high heat. Drain off fat. Pour water and horseradish over meat.
- Cover tightly; simmer on top of range or in a 325°F oven about 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Add small amount of water, if necessary to keep meat from getting too dry. About 1 hour before end of cooking time; add the vegetables.