Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Delicious chicken, smothered with a mildly spicy chili sauce dish that tastes as though it's been braised for hours even though it takes less than 1/2 hour to prepare. Recipe from Chatelaine Magazine and posted for ZWT 7
Top Review by lazyme
Yum! I really liked this alot. I used a red jalapeno but should have used green for a little more color. This was simple to make and loved the cumin flavor. Thanks Dreamer for sharing this great little recipe. Made by an Emerald City Shaker for ZWT7.
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons garlic butter, store-bought
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup baby carrots or 1 carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (about 1 handful)
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop jalapeno, including seeds.
- Slice onion into wedges.
- Thickly slice pepper.
- Cut each chicken thigh into 2 or 3 bite-sized pieces and place chicken in a bowl. Sprinkle chicken with cumin and pinches of salt and toss to coat.
- Melt garlic butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add half of chicken and cook until light golden, (1 to 2 min per side).
- Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining chicken, adding more garlic butter if needed.
- When all chicken is removed, add broth to pot.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any bits from pot bottom.
- Add jalapeno, onion, pepper and carrots.
- Return chicken and any juices to pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is springy when pressed, (10 to 12 min).
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- If you like a thicker sauce, ladle chicken and veg into bowls and boil sauce until reduced slightly, (3 to 4 min).
- Spoon over chicken.
- Serve with rice.