Recipe by blucoat
This is a unique and flavourful recipe from "Cooking Light" Magazine. Cloves infuse the braising liquid--and thus the lentils--with savory, spicy notes. If you are using the regular sized lentils, you may have to simmer them for a little longer.
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups petite green lentils or 1 1⁄2 cups regular green lentils
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (you can also try using 2 tbsp of fruit juice or apple cider)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Insert cloves into onion.
- Combine onion, water, and next 9 ingredients (water through broth) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Remove onion and bay leaf with a slotted spoon; discard. Stir in salt; cook 2 minutes.