Recipe by evelyn/athens
Homey, lemony, delicious. 1 hour marinating time to allow flavours to develop.
Top Review by Snow Queen
Wonderful chicken dish; the sauce was rich and the cooked lemons brightened the flavor without being too tart. We added some peeled and quartered potato the last 30 minutes. We will make this again!
- 6 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 lemons, rinsed,halved lengthwise,and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup vermouth or 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Trim and discard pockets of fat.
- In a bowl, mix vinegar and oil, and season to taste.
- Add thighs and turn to coat.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- After 1 hour chilling time, preheat oven to 350F while continuing with recipe.
- Set a 5 to 6 quart ovenproof pan with lid over medium-high heat.
- Lift chicken thighs from marinade (reserve marinade) and arrange in a single layer in pan.
- Turn as necessary to brown on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to a rimmed plate and lower heat under pan.
- Add shallots and garlic to pan and stir frequently until shallots are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and add marinade, lemons, vermouth, and herbes de Provence.
- Cover pan.
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake until chicken is very tender when pierced, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into bowls to serve.