Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Homey, lemony, delicious. 1 hour marinating time to allow flavours to develop.
- 6 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 lemons, rinsed,halved lengthwise,and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup vermouth or 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Trim and discard pockets of fat.
- In a bowl, mix vinegar and oil, and season to taste.
- Add thighs and turn to coat.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- After 1 hour chilling time, preheat oven to 350F while continuing with recipe.
- Set a 5 to 6 quart ovenproof pan with lid over medium-high heat.
- Lift chicken thighs from marinade (reserve marinade) and arrange in a single layer in pan.
- Turn as necessary to brown on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to a rimmed plate and lower heat under pan.
- Add shallots and garlic to pan and stir frequently until shallots are limp, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to pan and add marinade, lemons, vermouth, and herbes de Provence.
- Cover pan.
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake until chicken is very tender when pierced, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into bowls to serve.
Wonderful chicken, I used Auberge Blend - Herbes De Provence because I couldn't find pre-made herbes de provence. I also did a boo boo and juiced the lemons (I was in a hurry to eat, that I didn't read it correctly). However the flavours mixed well but I think it would have been better and look prettier with sliced lemons, rind and all (yum). The house was full of wonderful aromas while it was cooking and it made me even hungrier. Garnished with spring onions and served it with Manakeesh Bil Za'atar (Flat Bread With Za'atar). Thank you evelyn/athens
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. It was delicious. A great taste of lemon. Will do this again for sure :P Thanks Evelyn. Made for 123 hit wonders.
123 Hit Wonders 2007 ~ I let the chicken (legs & thighs) sit in the marinade for about 6 hours. Used white wine. Didn't have herbes de provence so made up a mix of tarragon, thyme, chives, rosemary and parsley. DH thought it was too pungent and tangy, however, I enjoyed it quite well. Thanks evelyn!