Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Soooo flavorful! The house smells wonderful while this is cooking!
Make and share this Braised Balsamic Chicken With Garlic and Onions recipe from Food.com.
- 6 piece bacon, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or 8 pieces of your favorite cut)
- 453.59 g onion, thinly sliced (or shallots)
- 1 head garlic, separated and peeled
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- Cook bacon in a deep heavy skilled until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels, reserving bacon grease in skillet.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken in bacon grease, in 2 batches, over medium high heat, turning, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat.
- Lower heat, add onions to skillet and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and continuing cooking until deep golden, about 10 minutes more.
- Add garlic and 1 cup water to skillet and bring to a boil, stirring 1 minute.
- Return chicken to skillet, turning pieces to coat, then arrange them skin side up and gently simmer, covered, until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to serving dish.
- Add balsamic vinegar to sauce and boil, uncovered, mashing garlic, until slightly thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over chicken, then sprinkle with bacon.
I also added mushrooms when adding the onions and used more chicken stock than water. Incredibly awesome and a big hit with the family! The chicken itself was juicy and full of flavour then add on the sauce and WOW!
This is real good! I took the suggestion of others and added mushrooms and cooked the chicken with the balsamic. I also used a more expensive balsamic as suggested. So thank you to all the reviewers!!!To the recipe I would suggest adding the mushrooms as optional because they really added to it and they were actually my favorite part. Thank you Charmie!!! A definite keeper!
Definitely a KEEPER! I wish I could give it 20 stars! I didn't do a whole pound of onions (altho' I used two large onions--maybe they weighed a pound?). The whole thing was SIMPLE and EASY to prepare, not to mention DELICIOUS to eat. I'm SO glad that I made extra...now I can enjoy this AGAIN! On the advice of an earlier reviewer, I added about a half-pound of fresh, sliced mushrooms, and that really gave it a nice appearance (not to mention something else to LOVE!). *Made for ZWT 3 Spanish Adventure*