Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is a bit different from most of the Boxty recipes posted here....it doesn't contain mashed potatoes, just the fresh grated ones. Boxty are traditionally served for Halloween in Northern Ireland. Make sure you use a well seasoned skillet (cast iron is best) so the potato cakes don't stick. Prep time assumes you are grating your potatoes by hand....use a food processor or buy prepackaged shredded potatoes to save time. Cooking time is based on 4 pancakes in the skillet at a time. If you are just cooking 4 pancakes, estimate 10 minutes of cooking time....5 minutes per side. :)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled (1 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- melted butter, brown sugar
- Finely shred the potatoes into a bowl of cold water; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Drain the potatoes well; pat dry with a paper towel. Add potatoes and buttermilk to the flour mixture; mix well.
- In a 12 inch skillet, heat 2 tbsp butter until water sprinkled on the skillet sizzles. Spread about 3 tbsp of the batter into a small pancake in the skillet, making several at a time. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp on the edges.
- Remove pancakes from the skillet; cover and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more butter to the skillet if necessary.
- To serve, pour melted butter over the pancakes; sprinkle with brown sugar.