Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Weber's Big Book of Grilling
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 (1 lb) squab, butterflied
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup or 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Note—to butterfly squab: place bird on a cutting board, breast side DOWN; using poultry shears, cut along both sides of the backbone to remove backbone; turn bird over, breast side UP; pull the body open and press down firmly, cracking the rib bones slightly, until the bird lies relatively flat.
- Make marinade: in a small bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together.
- Place the squab in a large plastic zip-lock bag; pour in the marinade (if one bag isn’t big enough, use two and divide the marinade).
- Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly.
- Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate 2-12 hours, turning occasionally.
- Just before grilling: make the baste—in a small bowl, whisk the baste ingredients together; set aside.
- Remove squabs from bag; discard marinade.
- Pat squabs dry with paper towels; lightly brush with vegetable oil.
- Grill the squabs, skin side down, over indirect medium heat until the skin is golden brown and the juices are still slightly pink, 35-45 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time.
- During the last 10 minutes of grilling, brush on the baste; serve warm.