Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
This is from The Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas. Make it some weeks ahead of time.
Make and share this Bourbon Fruitcake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups mixed candied fruit, chopped course
- 1 cup candied cherry, halved
- 3 cups raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 eggs, room temp
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- In a large bowl, combine the candied fruits, raisins, currants, and bourbon. Mix well, cover and marinate 3 hours on the counter.
- Cream together the butter, and brown sugar until fluffy in a KitchenAid mixer.
- Beat in the eggs, on at a time.
- Add the melted chocolate, walnuts, and the marinated fruit along with the bourbon.
- Blend for a minute and add the flour, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Mix well until all is incorporated. Pack the heavy batter into a greased 10 X 4 tube pan.
- Bake in a preheated 300 deg. oven for 2 hours and 10 minutes. Remove to a rack.
- When the cake is cool enough to handle. Remove from the pan and cool on the rack.
- Place the cooled cake in a stainless steel pot iwth a lid and drizzle half of the brandy over it. Cover and allow to rest on the counter for 1 week. After 1 week, drizzle with the remaining brandy, cover and allow to rest another week.
- Slice and serve. This cake will keep for months in the refrigerator.