Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These are the best baked beans--very tasty. Very easy to make as well--can be made on the stove top, in the oven, or in a crock pot. I never fail to get rave reviews at pot lucks and family outings.
- 4 (16 ounce) cansboston baked beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1⁄2 cup jack daniels Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- To make the coffee, dissolve 1 tsp of instant coffee in 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Combine all ingredients in pot and cook over low heat for 2 hours, or put in covered baking dish and bake at 350°F for 2 hours, or put in crock pot on high for 3-4 hours.
I'll try this recipe. Now retired, I can easily spare the time to make it from scratch. I will use two large crushed garlic wedges inplace of garlic powder and will boil/then turn down for 1 1/2 hours.
I made half the recipe. Added a dash of Worcestershire, used regular mustard, sautéed half a small onion in a bit of canola before adding everything else. Used 1 can of kidney beans, butter beans (both drained and rinsed) and a small can of Campbell's pork and beans, un-drained, and simmered on stove for about 1 ½ hours, the last hour with the lid partially off or completely off to reduce the liquid, stirring frequently. Very good and different take on baked beans. You wouldn?t have guessed the bourbon or coffee were there, but the molasses and pineapple came subtly through. I diced into tiny bits about a cup or more of fresh pineapple I had in the fridge instead of canned, but either would work.
I enjoyed these very flavorful beans! I did use a vadalia onion, pinch of red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin. I did add one more can of beans because there was plenty of liquid. I did cook stove top for 3 hours under a low flame.