1/1 Photo of Botswanan Chicken Pie (Botswana)
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe was featured on week 34 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook on meal from every nation on Earth, and Botswana is my 34th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. The filling for this pie is a little dry, but we really liked the combination of apples, currants and chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the filling
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 1/2 ounces onions, sliced thinly
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 lb cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 teaspoons hot chili powder
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- salt, to taste
- 1 egg yolk whisked in 1 tbsp water
For the dough
- 1Fry the onions in the butter until translucent, then add the apple, chicken, currants and chili powder.
- 2Cook for about a minute, then add the tomatoes and salt to taste. Keep cooking for another five minutes or so (the finished mixture should be pretty dry).
- 3Meanwhile, make the dough. Sift the flour and baking soda together, then add the butter, working it with your fingers until you get a texture like fine breadcrumbs.
- 4Now whisk the egg whites together with one egg yolk and add it to the dough. Add the water in small amounts until you get the right consistency for a pastry dough. Cut out circles about 6 inches wide or so.
- 5Drop enough filling on each dough piece to cover about half the circle, with enough room left over to pinch the edges together.
- 6Fold over to a half-moon shape. Repeat until you either run out of dough or filling. Prick each pie to vent.
- 7Mix the remaining egg yolk with 1 tbsp of water and brush the surface of each pie.
- 8Transfer to a well-oiled baking sheet (they stick, so make sure to use plenty of grease) and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the pies turn a nice golden brown color.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Botswanan Chicken Pie (Botswana)
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.4
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 235.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: