Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
a hearty soup which warms the soul on a cold day.
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 lb beef (with bone)
- 1⁄2 cup pot barley
- 1 small cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 large onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 peppercorns
- 1⁄4 star anise
- 19 ounces tomatoes
- 10 ounces tomato soup
- heavy cream
- 1 large potato, cut in chunks
- In 6 quart pot, combine water, beef with bones and pot barley.
- Boil for 40 mins til meat is nearly tender. Skim off foam occasionally.
- Coarsely shred cabbage, sliced onion, grate carrots and add to broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add spices and herbs.
- Boil 30 mins til vegetables are tender.
- Add potato with vegetables.
- Add canned tomatoes and tomato soup.
- Let simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt to taste.
- Add heavy cream when ready to serve.
Borsch is the most popular soup of Ukrainian cuisine that got its name from the most important ingredient, BEETS, called in old Slavic, "BORSCH". You left out the most important ingredient, the beets.