- 3 large bundles collard greens, well-washed
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems from greens and discard. Roll up like a cigar and slice into ribbons.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add bacon, onion, and garlic. Render bacon until crisp and the onion is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar, vinegar, broth, and bourbon. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and stir in the collard greens in batches. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours until tender and soft.