Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These will look great on your holiday cookie platter.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 24 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 2 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 -4 drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Knead together flour, sugar, butter, half-half and almond extract until well mixed.
- Shape about 2 tablespoons dough around a well drained maraschino cherry and roll into a ball.
- Place onto ungreased sheets and.
- press down on each ball gently to flatten out bottoms.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cookies are firm but not brown.
- Transfer to racks to cool completely.
- To make glaze: In small bowl, mix all glaze ingredients together until smooth. Dip cookies in glaze to coat and set on racks (over wax paper or parchment paper to catch drips) until dry, about 30 minutes.
One of my favorite holiday cookies. The dough is fussy and sometimes requires a little more moisture to hold together. In addition to cherries I also stuff them with Hershey's kisses or Andes mints. They barely expand or spread so don't be afraid to put them close together. Thank you for posting this recipe because it seems I am constantly looking for it!