Recipe by Fido ®™
I couldn't believe that, of 32,000++ recipes at Recipezaar, no lamb stock recipe existed! So allow me to fill that void. Recipe from Bon Appetit magazine.
- lamb bone, and trimmings from 2 racks of lamb or equivalent
- 4 fluid ounces water, plus more as needed
- 1 cup tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a roasting pan, roast the bones and trimmings until well browned, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the bones and trimmings to a stockpot, and degrease the roasting pan.
- Place over medium-high heat and stir in 4 fluid ounces of water, scraping up any browned bits.
- Pour these deglazed juices into the stockpot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and water to cover.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, reduce the heat to low, cover partially, and simmer for 3 to 4 hours, skimming frequently.
- Strain the stock into a bowl through a colander lined with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth.
- Gently press the solids to extract all the liquid; discard the solids.
- Remove fat from the surface.
- The stock can be stored for up to a week in a refrigerator, or longer if frozen.