Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My mom always made this growing up. My family loves it now. The ham comes out fork tender. It is a great 1-pot meal.
- 4 lbs ham, picnic
- 6 potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 head cabbage, cut into quarters and core cut out
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- In a large stock pot put in ham and cover with water. Make sure there is lots of water as this will be boiling a long time.
- Heat on high until boiling, reduce to medium-high heat for a low boil. Boil 2 hours.
- Add potatoes, onions and carrots. Add more water if needed.
- Bring back to boil and boil 1 hour.
- Add cabbage.
- Boil 15 minutes.
- Scoop out onto platter and serve.
This was very good, I used two fresh ham steaks. Made for my three chefs.