From Sunset. Quote Macbeth and tell your kids that the hominy is teeth and the peas are frog eyes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 lbs raw Italian turkey sausage
- 1 onion, chopped (8 oz.)
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped (8 oz.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 quarts de-fatted chicken broth
- 2 lbs hubbard squash
- 3 (15 ounce) cans hominy, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- 1Place oil in an 8- to 10-quart pan over medium-high heat. Squeeze sausages from casings into pan; discard casings.
- 2Break sausage into bite-size chunks. Stir occasionally until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Stir over high heat until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in chili powder, cumin seed, and oregano. Add broth, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5Meanwhile, peel squash and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to broth. Return to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until squash is tender when pierced, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Add hominy. If peas are frozen in a block, whack container against counter to separate, then pour peas into soup.
- 8Turn heat to high and bring soup to a boil, about 3 minutes.
- 9Pour soup into a tureen and ladle into mugs or bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boil and Bubble Soup Cauldron
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.3
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 48.1 mg
- Sodium 1550.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 19.8 g