Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Sunset. Quote Macbeth and tell your kids that the hominy is teeth and the peas are frog eyes.
Make and share this Boil and Bubble Soup Cauldron recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 lbs raw Italian turkey sausage
- 1 onion, chopped (8 oz.)
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped (8 oz.)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 quarts de-fatted chicken broth
- 2 lbs hubbard squash
- 3 (15 ounce) cans hominy, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- Place oil in an 8- to 10-quart pan over medium-high heat. Squeeze sausages from casings into pan; discard casings.
- Break sausage into bite-size chunks. Stir occasionally until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Stir over high heat until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin seed, and oregano. Add broth, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, peel squash and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Add to broth. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until squash is tender when pierced, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add hominy. If peas are frozen in a block, whack container against counter to separate, then pour peas into soup.
- Turn heat to high and bring soup to a boil, about 3 minutes.
- Pour soup into a tureen and ladle into mugs or bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste.