Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Our friend Bob has made this several times and we love it. It is called a stew but it has a nice texture and goes well with steak, chops or even a roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, separated into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb button mushroom
- 1 (398 ml) can tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fennel
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- parsley (for garnish)
- In a skillet fry the onions and garlic in the Olive oil over med heat until light brown (10 minutes).
- Add mushrooms and cover (5 Minutes).
- Add remainder of the ingredients and cook over Med High heat about 8 minutes.
- Put into a serving dish and sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Perfect for our family! I used Italian brown mushrooms and I added pre-cooked stew meat. Bob's stew is awesome!
I made this today for Photo Swap. I used baby portabellos, (or Italian brown mushrooms, they're "meatier" than the whites we think), and we snacked on them right out of the bowl this afternoon! My husband asked me to pour the rest into a beef stew, and that sounds like a great idea to me! We loved the unique taste of the fennel seeds, too. Our house smelled heavenly! This would go well on steaks, but chicken breasts would be great, too. Heck this stuff would go with just about any meat, and it's darn good all by itself! Next time I might thicken it just a bit if not serving with rice or potatoes, but it's not neccessary at all. YUM. Thanks, Bergy!