Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Source: Woman's Day
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated grapefruit peel (and lemon peel)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated grapefruit peel (and lemon peel)
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 3 cups grapefruits, segments preferably Ruby Red grapefruit
- mint leaf
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Line 16 regular-size (21⁄2-in. diam) muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in center; put oil, water, egg yolks, 3 Tbsp grapefruit juice and the grated peels in well.
- Whisk liquids to mix, then whisk with flour mixture just until blended and smooth.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with mixer on high speed until frothy.
- Add remaining 1 tsp grapefruit juice; beat just until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- With a rubber spatula, stir 1⁄3 the beaten egg whites into the cupcake batter, then gently fold in remaining whites just until blended.
- Spoon 1⁄4 cup into each lined cup.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes until tops are browned and a pick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing to rack to cool completely.
- Beat ingredients (except grapefruit segments) in a medium bowl with mixer on low speed just to blend.
- On high speed, beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Finely chop 1 grapefruit segment and stir into frosting.
- Spread on cupcakes.
- Just before serving: Drain remaining grapefruit segments well and place on cupcakes; garnish with mint.
- NOTE: Can be made through Step 5 up to 3 days ahead.
- Refrigerate airtight.
- Section grapefruit up to 1 day before using; refrigerate covered.
this recipe is a really good one, only thing is you need to add either a little more grapefruit juice or fresh grapefruit juice to have a more of a grapefruit taste... also add maybe a little bit of a 7up soda to make them less dry.... other then that they are really good!