3 hrs 50 mins
So named for the "blush" of red color this bread gets from the tomato juice in the recipe. From one of my Aunt Alta's recipe clippings, originally from a Borden flyer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp. total)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice (such as Sacramento Tomato Plus)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups unsifted all-purpose flour, more as needed
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter or 2 -4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1Combine wayer, yeast,just 1 tsp sugar, and the ginger; let stand about 10 minutes until foamy.
- 2In a large bowl, combine tomato juice, 1/4 cup sugar,salt, and 2 cups of the flour.
- 3Add the yeast mxiture and beat well.
- 4Add another 3 cups of the flour, stirring to blend well.
- 5Stir in as much remaining flour as you can (you may need more or les depending upon the day's humidity).
- 6Turn dough onto a well floured board and knead with floured hands until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 7Grease a large bowl and place dough inside, flipping dough over once to grease the top; cover and let rise until doubled in bulk in a warm place, about 40 minutes or so (again, this will vary based on the temperature and humidity of the day).
- 8Punch risen dough down, then form into two round balls.
- 9Place on greased baking sheets or into 9" round cake tins and make two diagonal slashes in the top of each with a sharp knife.
- 10Brush with melted butter, cover with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let rise again until doubled (about as long as before).
- 11Preheat oven to 350 F and bake both loaves together for 40-50 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow in the bottom when tapped.
- 12Let cool on wire racks before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blushing Bread
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.0
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 218.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 5.3 g