Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
It's finally blueberry season in Texas. On June 10th, the 17th annual festival will be held in Nacogdoches. This recipe courtesy of the Texas Co-op Power magazine.
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Sift flour, baking powder & salt together; set aside.
- Cream butter & gradually beat in sugar. Add egg & milk; beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients slowly & stir till just moist. Gently fold in blueberries. (batter will be very stiff).
- Spread batter in greased and floured 8" square pan.
- Sprinkle with crumb topping & bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Crumb topping: Mix brown sugar, flour & cinnamon. Cut in butter till it forms coarse crumbs (smaller than a pea).
Tender, moist, a delightful tea cake! EASY to make; fast to fix. I made this for work, with no prior prep, between 7 a.m. and leaving for work at about 8:20...and I do not wake up quickly or easily! Thanks, Susie. This is a hit. (I really wish we had half-ratings.)
Yum! This cake was so easy to make, and delicious too. Everyone loved it. Thanks so much for sharing! No changes made except I added some more cinnamon to the cake itself.
This was a nice tea cake. Nice texture, good flavour, lots of berries. Easy to make. Thanks so much for sharing Susie.