Top Review by spatchcock
GREAT recipe! I made this just for fun, and I must say that I was skeptical about the icing. It was WONDERFUL, however, and added just the right amount of tang to the bread. This baked up nice and fluffy--light, not heavy, but also not dry. THANKS!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemons, rind of, Grated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 loaf pan.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in small bowl.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter with 1 cup sugar in large bowl until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon peel. Mix in dry ingredients alternatively with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Fold in blue berries.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice to boil in small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pierce top of cake all over with toothpick. Pour hot lemon mixture over loaf in pan.
- Cool 30 minutes in pan on rack.
- Turn bread out of pan and cool completely on rack.