Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemons, rind of, Grated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 loaf pan.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in small bowl.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter with 1 cup sugar in large bowl until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add lemon peel. Mix in dry ingredients alternatively with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Fold in blue berries.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1/3 cup sugar and lemon juice to boil in small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pierce top of cake all over with toothpick. Pour hot lemon mixture over loaf in pan.
- Cool 30 minutes in pan on rack.
- Turn bread out of pan and cool completely on rack.
GREAT recipe! I made this just for fun, and I must say that I was skeptical about the icing. It was WONDERFUL, however, and added just the right amount of tang to the bread. This baked up nice and fluffy--light, not heavy, but also not dry. THANKS!
this was so good very light and the lemon adds excellent flavor. it was easy and went fast at our house. thanks for such a great recipe!
Absolutely delicious. Love blueberries and the lemon adds a real freshness. I did add a glug of vanilla as suggested by other reviews. Thanks for a great recipe!