Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great gingerbread, best served warm with whipped cream.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 11x7 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and molasses until well blended. Beat in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and salt. Remove 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture, and toss with blueberries to coat.
- Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture alternating with the buttermilk, mixing after each addition. Carefully stir in blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle optional sugar over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Gingerbread is one of my favorite breads/desserts. The addition of the fresh blueberries really gives it a nice tart addition to the warm spices and molasses. This was really easy to make and it will be a nice breakfast treat for the weekend; not to mention, a good afternoon snack! Thanks for the post.