Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Awsome cobbler! Sometimes I like to make Black and Blueberry Cobbler as well, following this recipe. Just use half blackberries and half blueberries!
- 8 cups blueberries, washed and stemed
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus some for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons cold shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine the blueberries, juice and zest of 1 lemon, 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Pour into a 2 quart oven safe baking dish and set aside.
- In a food processor combine the flour, salt, baking powder, the 3/4 c. sugar plus the 3 T. sugar, baking soda.
- Pulse to combine.
- Add the cold butter and shortening, pulse to combine, continuing to pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Pour into a large bowl and in a thin stream add the buttermilk, stirring constantly until mixture just holds together.
- You may not need all the buttermilk.
- Form dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap.
- Bake the blueberry mixture for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and increase the tempture to 425 degrees.
- Tear off 3 inch pieces of the dough and place on top of hot blueberry mixture.
- Sprinkle dough with sugar and bake until the dough is a medium golden brown, around 15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream.