Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
We enjoyed these bars - a bit of work to make them but they are worth it. Recipe Source: Finnish cookbook
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups blueberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- To make the crust: sift the dry ingredients (flour - baking soda) into a mixing bowl. Using a fork or two knives mix the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. With your hands press mixture into a dough. Roll dough out on a floured board to fit a 12-x 16 inch pan (I used a roasting pan), reserving 1/2 cup of the dough to use for topping. Put crust in pan, patch it if need be.
- With your fingers, form a ridge around the edge of the dough so the filling will not run over during baking.
- To prepare filling: pour the blueberries into a mixing bowl, mashing a bit to produce juice. Stir in the remainder of the ingredients (sugar - salt). Spread filling over crust in pan.
- Roll out reserved dough on a floured board to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into strips and place in a lattice pattern on the filling -- or crumble remainder over the filling. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired (these bars are not very sweet).
- Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares to serve.