Recipe by Mumma=^..^=
Fresh blueberries can be used in this recipe, I just usually use frozen ones as I have them on hand for smoothies. I usually make up an entire shortening carton's worth of pie crust and freeze the extra, this crust recipe does very well in a pinch though.
- 4 cups sliced peeled baking apples (4 medium)
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Let blueberries partially thaw, if using frozen.
- Pre-heat oven to 425.
- In large bowl, combine all filling ingredients; mix well. Set aside.
- Pie Crust: Mix salt with flour.
- Cut shortening into flour mixture till crumbly.
- Lightly beat egg, water and vinegar and mix egg mixture into the flour just till dough is made. Do not over mix.
- Roll out half the dough and place into a greased pie plate.
- Fill pie shell with fruit mixture.
- Roll out the other half the dough. I usually then cut it into strips to make a lattice crust. If making just a plain crust be sure to cut a hole and slits in the top to vent.
- Bake at 425 for 50-70 minutes or until apples are tender and edges are bubbly. Cover entire pie loosely with foil after 20 minutes to prevent the crust from browning too much. Cool 2 hours (if you can wait that long!). Serve warm or cold.