Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Most sugar cookie recipes are tricky in that they have a tendency to be dry and tasteless if not done just right. These always come out good, and are perfect for decorating for any holiday. I make them for everything. Good way to try out all your cutters!!
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix margarine and sugar and beat till fluffy. Add egg and extracts. Mix in soda and cream of tartar, and then add flour. Wrap in a disc and chill for at least an hour, but no more than 24 or it will dry out.
- Roll to 1/4" thickness and cut with desired cookie cutters. Leave room between cookies on baking sheet ( I use parchment) because they do spread. Bake 8 minutes till set, but not browned.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting, or any other flavor if you like, and decorate with sugars or decors.
This is the same recipe I have used for more than 45 years. I found it in a Betty Crocker Cookie book back in 1963, I think. It is so tender and flavorful. The confectioners sugar makes the difference.
Won First prize(Blue Ribbon) with this recipe in the county fair.Wonderful recipe, thanks for the recipe and the ribbon!